[TN-Bird] Ross's Goose, Bald Eagles, Craig Cove, Knoxville

  • From: cwelsh <cwelsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:09:16 -0500

While taking a walk with the family this morning (~10:30) out to the Craig
Cove island (Knoxville, Knox County, home of the Sage Thrasher from last
winter) I spotted a white goose in with 20 or so Canada Geese.  My first
thought was Snow Goose, but it was less than half the size of the Canadas, had
a rounded head, and a very short stubby bill.  I did not see a grin patch on
the bill and took a 2nd and 3rd look (awaiting my turn while wife Deb and each
of the kids had their looks) to confirm it was a Ross's Goose.  We did not see
any of the geese in the cove on the way back out.  Not sure where they went as
we didn't see or hear them fly away either.

Also saw 2 Bald Eagles sitting rather cozily together near the mouth of the
Little River.  There were 20-30 Bonaparte's Gulls hanging out near the mouth
as well.

Back at home we've had a Red-breasted Nuthatch coming to the feeders fairly
regularly since Thanksgiving.  I keep hoping the Brown-headed Nuthatches that
have been seen across the river near the UT Plant Sciences Farm will make a
foray over our way, but no such luck yet.

Chris Welsh
Knoxville