[tn-bird] Rose-breasted Grosbeak

  • From: "TH Cumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:23:28 -0400

Greetings,

My first sighting of a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak this year...AND he was in my
driveway at my front door.  I had scattered some mixed seeds there and he was
filling up during this drab rainy day... around 2:00 PM.

I have also had an immature Brown Thrasher eating seeds... cracked corn in
particular was giving him difficulty.

I have listened for these birds for I recognize the Thrasher song.  The R-b
Grosbeak sounds too much like the many Robins in my area to identify with my
untrained ear.  However, I had not identified either song during the spring
while they were setting up nesting sights.

The elevation is around 2800 ft.  with Roan Mountain hovering in the background
of my home.  Hope neither bird leaves too soon.. I need to consult some of the
birding lit, I have to learn more.

These birds have brightened my day considerably!!!!!

Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC