[tn-bird] Re: Roseate Spoonbill

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:37:32 EDT

In recent years I have seen Roseate Spoonbills in TN on 4 occasions. I
photographed the bird Cosner reports in July 1989. I photographed another
bird at Lake #9 just inside Kentucky on Sept 14, 1994 and this bird flew into
TN and was seen over the next few days off and on by many around the
Phillippy Pits, Lake Co. TN and later farther south on the Mississippi River.
I photographed another bird in late August 1996 again in Lake Co, near
Reelfoot. I found up to 3 birds at Cocklebur Lake in Shelby Co. on the TN
side of the MS/TN line on August 24 of this year in the company of 30-40 Wood
Storks. These birds were seen by a few other birders over the next few days.

Spoonbills appeared far to the north of Tennessee this year, at least one
group of 4 birds in either Illinois or Indiana stay for quite a while. These
birds come north with the Wood Stork migration and most likely, like the Wood
Storks are out of Mexico. When the storks start streaming up the Texas coast
in the early summer these pink bird can be seen following along. David Dortch
just photographed a bird at the pine roost out from the Air Port on Dauphin
Island in the last few days. Hopefully it will stay to greet us at the fall
meeting this coming weekend.

They are great birds to watch and I hope the Green Co. bird stays for others
to enjoy.............

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA