[TN-Bird] Rocky Fork

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:07:20 -0400

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the status of Rocky Fork in
East Tennessee.  I am not sure of the exact location as far as town I just know
its off the old Asheville Highway a few miles from Erwin.  TWRA has leased it
for several years and kept it closed to various forms of recreation in an
attempt to protect the flora and fauna.  I have recently heard that it has been
opened back up to horseback riders.  I know at one point, according to a TWRA
friend, that the problem they were having with riders stemmed from operators of
a trail riding business that were not getting the proper permits to carry on
business on this property.  I am sure as with any type of recreation there were
other problems.  It seems there are always a few bad apples in the bunch that
ruin something good for the rest of the group.

Anywho, I had been told it was open for horses for a temporary period of time.
I didn't get the opportunity to make a call this past week and thought there
might be somebody here that knew what was going on with the property.  Will
TWRA lease it again?  Are the owners moving toward development?  Any idea?

Michelle King
Blountville, TN