[TN-Bird] River walk in Murfreesboro

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 14:01:37 EDT

Yesterday I had my car fixed in Murfreesboro and I had some time to kill so I
walked around down to Canonsburgh (a historical site). I saw a large sign
that said "Greenway Trailhead" and I was curious so I walked down to that
trail.

I have never walked down there before. According to the info posted there,
this trail and an adjoining trail, wind along the Stones River.

I am wondering if anyone has birded this trail and if they found anything of
significance there? I would be interested in birding it sometime if someone
wanted to go with me. It's very close to my house and we could park in the
Canonsburgh parking lot - now that I know where this trail is. There are even
some picnic tables along the trail if anyone brought a lunch we could stop
and eat there.

I had heard others in the family talking about the walk along the river but I
thought it was all developed right in the middle of Murfreesboro - more like
a recreational type of feature - little more than a jogging trail in a city
park. I was very pleased to see that (at least the part that I saw) there are
trees shading over most of it and the river is also beautiful to look at as
you walk along the trail. It gave me a serene feeling to be there. Kind of a
sanctuary of green in the middle of the city.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN (actually in the country - not in town)