[TN-Bird] River Birds and Wind Birds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:47:12 EDT

Oct. 8, 2005
MS RV, Cocklebur Lake
and Ensley Bottoms,
Shelby Co. TN

There was little moving down the river but there was a huge number of  Tree
Swallows everywhere I looked. I found them, at Ensley and all along the  levee
in large numbers with Rough-winged only along the Levee, where I  also had
just 2 Barn Swallows. The Chimney Swifts were feeding high and  were scattered
in
the morning but they were right down on the river, taking  over the evening
shift after the swallows had gone to roost. If you want to see  a large number
of acrobats feeding, go to the north end of Mud Island late in  the evening
before they head for Peru.

Twenty one White Pelicans were seen going south at Mud Island in the  morning
and in the afternoon 80 plus birds dropped onto a sandbar up river. A  small
bunch of 14 flew low over the pits and a couple of thousand looked like  snow
drifts viewed through the trees at Cocklebur Lake right on the MS Line,  west
of Mud and Horn Lake.

At last some variety in the Wind Birds at the pits after a steady diet of
regulars, a few Killdeer, 1 Semipalmated Plover, 14 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1
Dunlin,
 2 Western Sandpipers, 1 molting Long-billed Dowitcher, and of course a
couple of  thousand Least Sandpipers.

The duck numbers and variety also continue to grow at the pits with lots of
Mallards, with 1 leucistic bird that sat for photos, it is really a strange
bird  and I'll post the photos soon. Also there were, 118 Northern Shoveler, 4
Green-winged Teal, 2 Blue-winged, and 1 hen Pintail.

At Robco Lake there were a few DC Cormorants and 3 Ring-billed Gulls plus
again Tree Swallows everywhere.

Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road