[TN-Bird] Ring-billed Gulls Banded

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,hilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:35:48 EST

22 FEB 04
.
Lee Highway
Bristol, VA
.
Volunteer Parkway
Bristol, TN
This morning, near 10:30, Wallace Coffey banded the first Ring-billed Gull in
Southwest Virginia to the best of our knowledge. The gull was trapped using
the Launched Avian Restraint Utility System (L.A.R.U.S.) prototype as
referenced in the Bristol Herald Courier news paper on Friday 20 FEB 04.
Bristol,
Virginia Super Wal-Mart, I-81 exit 7, parking lot is where the banding took
place
as 100 or more Ringed-billed Gulls congregated and responded quickly to our
bait. This success was followed by a second gull banded in Bristol, Tennessee
on
the Volunteer Parkway Food Lion parking lot. This was also a first for the
region as far as we know.
Project: L.A.R.U.S. was initiated in hopes to have a banded bird recovered
after spring migration in order to establish a migratory path for our regional
overwintering gulls.

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN