[TN-Bird] Returning birds, Henry Co; 4/23/07

  • From: "Todd, Michael C." <michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:56:46 -0500

4/23/07
Southwest Henry Co.
I birded about 3 hours this morning (Monday), and got several FOS (First of
Season) birds in the process. I was particularly checking to see if
Swainson's Warbler and Lark Sparrows were back in yet; yes to both. In
contrast to other posts around the region, though I had 18 species of
warblers on the day, only a handful were true boreal migrants, most were
still locally-nesting species. Highlight of the day was a singing
BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, my 1st local bird of this species. Also nice to
have good looks at two of my favorite local warblers, those of a caramel
color; Swainson's and Worm-eating.

Highlights as follows: * marks FOS

Wilson's Snipe: 8 clustered around a small wet spot in a grassy field
Eastern Kingbirds & Great-crested Flycatchers: several each, but no Pewee or
Acadian yet
Philadelphia Vireo (FOS); also several Red-eyed, Yellow-throated, White-eyed
Vireos
Wood Thrush: numerous but only Thrush recorded

Warblers:
Northern Parula: numerous
*Yellow Warbler: (1)
*BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER: singing bird is my 1st bird locally
Yellow-rumped Warbler: only a handful
Black-throated Green Warbler: (1)
Yellow-throated Warbler: (3)
Pine Warbler: numerous
Prairie Warbler: dozens, my route traverses much regenerative clear-cut land
Palm Warbler: (8)
Black-and-white Warbler (2)
Prothonotary Warbler: numerous
*Worm-eating Warbler: (3) more than usual on this route
*Swainson's Warbler: (4) two birds counter-singing at my most reliable
location, and two other singles elsewhere
Louisiana Waterthrush: (3)
*Kentucky Warbler: (4)
Common Yellowthroat: numerous
Hooded Warbler: numerous
Yellow-breasted Chat: (3) expected more

*Scarlet Tanager: (3 males)
*Summer Tanager: (2)
*Lark Sparrows: no singing today, but saw two birds in different locations,
both in areas I traditionally see them
*Grasshopper Sparrow: (1)
Indigo Bunting: several
Orchard Oriole: (2)

Looking forward to this season finally starting to ramp up some more!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (home)
Michael.c.todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
www.pbase.com/mctodd

The information contained in this communication and its attachment(s) is
intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
in error, please notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and delete the
communication without retaining any copies. Thank you.

Translations available: http://www.owenscorning.com/emailfooter.html

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES