[TN-Bird] Results of the last round of TBRC voting.

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:27:39 -0400

Just wanted to update everyone on the results of the last round of
documentation reviewed  by  the Tennessee Bird Records Committee.  As I
hope you know our job is to review submitted documentation, discuss and
vote on it, and update and maintain the Official List of the Birds of
Tennessee.  Don't forget you can see the list, download documentation
forms,  see our bylaws, etc. on the TBRC section of the state TOS
website.

I also want to thank everyone who has submitted documentation, I know it
is not everyone's favorite task, but it is a very important one.  We are
still somewhat back logged with records, but be assured we are working
on them.

You will see that we only worked on three records this last round.  That
is because we were reviewing a potential first state record (Hooded
Oriole) so I tried to limit the number of records so we could really
concentrate on the oriole.

The next round of documentation will include the Hooded Crane at
Hiwassee last winter, that should be interesting!

Here are the results:

White-winged Dove- Presidents Island, Shelby County, April 30, 2011

Submitted by Scott Somershoe

Accepted: votes 6-0

Glaucous Gull - Duck River Unit, Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge,
Humphreys Co., Feb. 19, 2011

Submitted by Chris Sloan (and others)

Accepted : votes 6-0

Hooded Oriole - Flintville, Lincoln County , July 10, 2011

Submitted by Eden Powell

Not accepted: votes 4-2 (have to have at least 5 positive votes to pass)

There was no doubt about the identification of this bird, after much
discussion the committee felt that origin of the bird was in question.
It will not be added to the Official List of the Birds of Tennessee at
this time.

Kevin Calhoon

Secretary of the TBRC