[TN-Bird] Results of Lookout Mountain Conservancy Fieldtrip, Hamilton Co. 4/29.

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mary Anne Williams" <makwms@xxxxxxxxx>, "Robyn Carlton" <rcarlton0812@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 13:45:19 -0400

Nineteen participants showed up for the Lookout Mountain Conservancy
fieldtrip walking the Guild Trail on Lookout Mountain on Sunday 4/29.
We heard 15 species of warblers and got a some great looks at a few of
the species.  The trestle portion of the tail was a good opportunity to
see warblers at almost eye level.  Of course we still all got "warbler
neck".  Here are the highlights:

-          10 Cape May warblers

-          At least 15 Blackpoll Warblers

-          Ovenbird

-          4 Tennessee Warblers

-          4  Nashville Warblers

-          1  American Redstart

-          1 Hooded warbler

-          1 Bay-breasted Warbler

-          2 Blackburnian Warbler

-          2  Palm Warbler

-          6 Yellow-rumped

-          Blue Grosbeaks

-          Summer Tanager

-          Scarlet Tanager

-          Rose-breasted Grosbeak

-          Yellow-throated Vireo

-          1  Swainson's Thrush

A few of us kicked around the county after the fieldtrip and found a
Black-crowned Night-Heron on Hudson Rd on Moccasin bend (rare SE TN
bird).  Also found 3 Dickcissels and around 150 Bobolinks at the
riverport.

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium