[TN-Bird] Request for Information on Sandhill Cranes at Hiwassee Refuge

  • From: "Carolyn Matkovich" <cmatkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:22:39 -0600

Hello all,

I'm looking for information on Sandhill Cranes at Hiwassee Refuge.  From
everything I've been able to read so far, thousands pass through during
spring and fall migration and many stop to winter there as well.

Does anyone know the approximate PEAK number of cranes that stop over at the
refuge during the spring and fall migrations, and how many actually stay the
winter?  In other words, what are the most cranes you can see at one time
during spring, fall, and winter?

Lastly, does anyone know the approximate first date they arrive, and the
last date they leave (for both the spring and fall migrations)?

Any info or contacts would be greatly appreciated!

Carolyn Matkovich

Panama City, FL