[TN-Bird] Repost, interesting birds...

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:39:11 -0500

As several others have stated this was originally posted on Monday evening
but evidently did not go through...
I had a few interesting birds over the weekend while traveling around...

An adult Cooper's Hawk was seen between Fruitland and Humboldt in Gibson
Co.  This was the 2nd sighting at this location in two weeks and I suspect
they are probably nesting.

To echo what Jeff posted about Eurasian Collared-Doves, I had them in the
following Counties over the weekend...Gibson, Carroll, Benton, and
Humphreys so they really are all over the place now, at least here on the
western end of the state.

I had an adult Mississippi Kite in Bruceton / Hollow Rock in Carroll
County on Monday while driving through.  Just to the east I had hundreds
of Cliff Swallows at the Tennessee River Bridge at New Johnsonville in
Humphreys County.  I also had one Forster's Tern here.

Behind my father-in-law's house on Trace Creek, about 10 miles north of
Waverly in Humphrey's County, I had both Louisiana Waterthrush and
Yellow-throated Warbler still singing as well as Blue Grosbeak.

At my house just west of Trenton in Gibson County I still have 3-4 Cedar
Waxwings.  They have been here since early Spring.  I have not been able
to confirm nesting so far but they usually nest pretty late so they may
nest yet...we'll see.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN