[TN-Bird] Report from Hiwassee Refuge and nearby areas Saturday 1/17

  • From: Jason Baumgardner <jlbaumga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:05:47 -0500

On Saturday 1/17 I visited Hiwassee Refuge and Cherokee Removal Memorial
Park with Rebecca Byrd of Atlanta during the Crane Festival.  We also
stopped briefly at Harrison Bay State Park close to sunset.  Here is the
full list from three locations.  This is from Rebecca's eBird report, and
she deserves most of the credit for what we saw and counted, as she is a
good birder with a sharp eye.  The Sandhill Crane number at our first stop
is obviously not accruate, but we gave up on counting them.  There were
several thousand.   The vesper sparrows were a life bird for me.

Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge, Meigs, US-TN
Jan 17, 2015 10:52 AM - 1:33 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.8
22 species

Gadwall (Anas strepera)  10
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  23
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)  3
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  12
Redhead (Aythya americana)  19
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  6
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)  2
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  5
Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus)  4
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)  160
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  12
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  13
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  6
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  15
Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)  2     Seen perched in tree through
scope at 60 yards. White eye ring, white mutton chop malars, pink bill,
rufous coverts obvious in the wind when contour feathers blow up.
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  35
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  6
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  60

View this checklist online at

Cherokee Removal Memorial Park, Meigs, US-TN
Jan 17, 2015 2:46 PM - 4:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.8
19 species

Gadwall (Anas strepera)  1
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  4
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  100
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  7
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)  1
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)  32
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  2
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  14
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  1
Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus)  3
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  3
Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)  300
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  14
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  6
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  20
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  1

View this checklist online at

Harrison Bay SP, Hamilton, US-TN
Jan 17, 2015 5:17 PM - 5:40 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.8
8 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  3
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  100
Common Loon (Gavia immer)  8
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)  73     Counted individually at the
marina
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  1
American Coot (Fulica americana)  100
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  70
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)  1

View this checklist online at

Jason Baumgardner

Atlanta, GA