[TN-Bird] Refuge Lane at Duck River Unit Impassable by foot

  • From: queen mab <queenmab001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 13:37:18 -0700 (PDT)

05-01-2013
Duck River Unit
Humphreys County

After some great directions provided by Ruben Stoll, I made a mad dash out to
the Duck. To my disappointment, the river was pouring over the levee just
before the Purple Gallinule was spotted the previous day. As I was walking out,
my friend, Big Mike, was driving by and I expressed my disappointment at not
seeing the bird. He contacted the unit's Biologist and Mike drove me out to the
spot and we and met with the Biologist. I was able to snap some blurry pics
because we had to get out of there fast. As we drove out, the water was already
halfway up the tires and a strong current developed. Mike said by this evening,
the whole section of this unit and, possibly more land, will be under water. It
was suggested that no one make this trip during the weekend, especially with
expected rainfall. I will text him on Monday and get a better understanding if
when can get back in there.

Marnie Mitchell
Rutherford County