[tn-bird] Reeve/Ensley Report

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, marvdavs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:57:13 EDT

Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

On successive afternoons I have missed the Reeve. After watching her nap for
over 5 hours on Sunday I was sure she was ready to leave. So Her Highness has
most likely left the castle. Another Reeve found in Ohio has left up there
and will pass through the area so keep an eye out.

Usually my first immature peep of the season is a Least Sandpiper but my
favorite of all the immatures snuck in first this year (a week early) and I
lingered over the immature Semipalmated Sandpiper that strolled into view
Thursday afternoon.

There are tons of shorebirds to enjoy and a particularly interesting bird was
seen for a short 2 minutes on Thursday afternoon but not relocated. It is the
time to sit in the heat and go through the many thousands of peeps for that
special one.

The fat Wilson's Phalarope that laid around on Wednesday afternoon also is
gone but the SB Dowitcher that called between feedings did not find any
company and still feeds on the flat. Groups of birds of up to 100 at a time,
left heading south-southeast before sunset. Numbers were down from Wednesday
with far fewer L. Yellowlegs and Stilt Sandpipers but still more peeps than
one can scan in a day are present.

I believe the last nest of Black-necked Stilts at Ensley has hatched. I
photographed the 6 young raised by one proud pair yesterday. You cannot look
in any direction without seeing young from fuzz ball size to full

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.