[TN-Bird] Reeve and Western Kingbird

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 23:32:22 EDT

May 5, 2005
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I went to the pits this evening after work and migration had taken its  toll,
the numbers of Wind Birds had dropped over 50% since Wednesday morning.
Still there was plenty of birds to glean through. Shortly after I arrived, I
found a Reeve laying up with some yellow legged buddies in a grassy patch. Not
particularly a good sign for the bird to be here over the weekend. I did  find
4
female Wilson's Phalarope and still the single male dances all by himself  in
a remote pool. The male still retains old tertials from his teen age days
last year.
I still had 1 Baird's that I could find in a short search and a few
White-rumped plus a second Short-billed Dowitcher is present along with a bunch
 of
Long-billed. Still 19 species present.

The appearance of a Western Kingbird, south of the plant in the same
location the first bird appeared last year, was a long awaited treat. Now maybe
 the
others will come on in and get a bunch of nests started. The atmosphere is
right as today I counted NINE active Black-necked Stilt nests and amorous
couples abound. Painted Buntings have been counter singing in their regular
location west of the plant.

Last week, I thought I was finally going to have some sandbars to look at
but the river after falling 20 feet, jumped back up 10. The past year, there
has
 been little to see on the river because of high water but it has paid off
with  more birds than usual at the pits. You win some and you lose
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN