[TN-Bird] Reelfoot brings ETSU good birds

  • From: Anthony D Whitted <awhitted@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:36:49 -0800

I met with Dr. Fred Alsop (the best professor at ETSU) and a group of ETSU
students from Johnson City, TN. up at Reelfoot Lake over the weekend and had a
blast as always.  Thanks to Dr. Alsop's knowledge and skills and some of Jeff
Wilson's pet birds that he has trained to stay in specific locations
throughtout the area that he will gladly tell you where to find.  Also thanks
goes to Nancy Moore and Ken Leggett (sorry if I spelled your name wrong Ken)
who along with Jeff Wilson located a female Dickcissel for me.  We finished
with a good bird list of 98 species for the weekend at Reelfoot.
Great birds were:
Canvasbacks
Blue-winged Teal
Ross's Geese (2)
Snow Geese (1000's)
Greater White-Fronted Geese (100's)
Bald Eagles (plenty)
Northern Harriers
N. Bobwhite
Wild Turkey
American Woodcock (awsome displays)
Eur. Collared Dove
Barn Owl (1 heard)
Barred Owl (lots saw and heard)
Great-horned Owls (saw 2 and heard them)
All 7 Woodpeckers possible, which is always nice! esp. Red-headed WP
Horned Larks (1000's)
Fish Crows (few)
Hermit Thrush
Brown Thrashers (3)
Loggerhead Shrikes (lots)
Pine Warbler (1) Nice surprise where it was at at Ellington Hall
Dickcissel (1 female)
Lapland Longspurs (100's)
Amer. Tree Sparrows (3)
LeConte's Sparrow (1)
Rusty Blackbirds (few)
Purple Finch (1)
It was an incredible trip as always.  The group was made up of all new birders
so lots of birds were lifers which is so much fun to be a part of.  It is
always great to bird with Dr. Alsop as I have not done so in a year now that I
am on the whole other wet side of the state now.