[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Weekend

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:24:45 EST

December 16-17, 2006
Reelfoot Area and Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge

Well, I finally got away from Memphis to do the Reelfoot CBC. We had a good
count despite the area being completely fogged in till 9 AM but hustling
thereafter produced some nice birds not seen for years and new species being
added to the long list. As usual there were quite a few species seen the day
before and the day after that would have produced a Great List  but..........

Mark Greene will go into the details as soon as he can get the tallies
together. We had some misses on count day that showed up Sunday such as: an
adult
Golden Eagle at Long Point in KY, Western Meadowlarks at two locations  near
Phillippy, LeConte's Sparrow, 7 Least Sandpipers and a pair of Lesser
Yellowlegs. The Black Scoter male, hen Redhead or the Common Loon, seen the
day
before on the lake, could be found but a pair of Sandhill Cranes  and two
Red-necked Grebes were seen and photographed on count day.

The White-faced Ibis evidently left after the rain filled the field it was
feeding in the week before, but a surprise Great Egret was the first after  a
35 years absence from the count list. The Lesser Black-backed Gull that has
been hanging around the prison was seen there and coming to roost on count day
for a new count species while no other unusual gull could be found in their
impressive numbers.

At Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge, there were few diving ducks in the 17
species of waterfowl tallied on Friday and Sunday afternoons with a big group
of
Greater White-fronted, 28 Snows and Blues with 2 Ross's and a few Canada
Geese.
 A single male Redhead was found there, we needed him at  Reelfoot.

It was great to get up that way, it had been way too long, but the drought
over here (we are 15+ inches behind so far this year) had allowed all the
fields  to be harvested, cut and plowed clean, reducing the overall quantity
and
quality  of habitat. The latest rain, last week, filled the fields with water
but there  is little food in fresh water so a lot of species were found in low
numbers or  others such a Pipits, not at all...........

The 70 degree weather did not help, not pushing some other species  down to
us but was welcomed by those that participated on the count. We  had 6 new
faces and that really helped in covering the area and accounted  for the high
number of species ferreted out on Saturday.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135