[tn-bird] Reelfoot Railing

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:56:10 EDT

Oct. 18, 2002
Black Bayou Area
Reelfoot Lake, Lake Co. TN

Three times is a charm and I arrived late on Friday afternoon to view the
rice harvest in progress north of the refuge property. Viewing has been
difficult on the two previous trips except for one exceptional area where the
Black Rail made an appearance. Friday, I could position myself at the ends of
the harvesting where the machines were turning and the viewing was great but
the fields were relatively dry. Finally they hit a large wet area on my end
and the wet tires, whet my appetite.

Soras bailed out right and left and the 2 combines were following each other
closely so the rails had to fly long distances. A Virginia had no place to go
and landed right in front of me in a harvested corn field and soon a second
flew down the long edge of the field giving great looks at the shorter
rounded wings and long bill. A few immature Sora got my hopes up as they
flashed their buff color and paler secondaries but not too long after a
smaller buff bird flew out and the white squares on the wings flashed.

Totals Rails on three trips: Sora - 115, Virginia - 2, Yellow - 1, BLACK - 1

Thanks, Uncle Ben!!

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA