[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake Region

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:43:00 -0500

Due to the death of my wife's brother I have been out of town most of the last
week. The Obion River rose during this period and flooded White Lake up to the
level it was over 5 weeks ago destroying all shorebird habitat.  It also
flooded some crops that were planted in the refuge area last week.
However, it did restore the Lake and will provide good habitat for shorebirds
during the next few weeks as it falls back to its previous level.

We were never able to see the Neotropic Cormorant again.  Last week we only saw
one or two Double-crested Cormorants in the White Lake area and there were none
this week.

Today, Glen Criswell and I birded Dyer County and Highway 79 West in Lake
County.  We had a male Green-winged Teal in White Lake.

On the Tennemo Level Road just west of White Lake we had 45 White Pelicans and
a lone Golden Plover in breeding plumage.  We also had a single first year
Ring-billed Gull in the same area.

The Pelicans were disturbed by an immature Bald Eagle and left to the south
down the Mississippi River.  The other Pelicans that had been at White Lake for
the past several weeks have all gone.  We did observe one group of about 60
birds heading northwest toward Highway 79 West last Sunday.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN
Dyer County