[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake CBC count results (long)

  • From: "Mark Allen Greene" <magreene@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 00:09:40 -0600

The Reelfoot Lake Christmas Bird Count was held on Saturday, December 14.
Twelve observers came up with a total of 116 species which was two higher than
last years total of 114 and one less than our all-time high total of 117 in
1999.  Totals for each species have not been tallied but I will make those
available once it has been completed.  Highlights were many and included:

LONG-BILLED MURRELET - one individual seen on Lower Blue Basin caused major
excitement for three of the count participants!  A first for Tennessee and
obviously for the Reelfoot Lake CBC.

White-eyed Vireo - a first-winter bird seen near the refuge headquarters marked
the second Reelfoot Lake CBC record for this species.  The first one was in
1977.

American White Pelican - several were still lingering on the lake.

Common Merganser - three individuals were seen from Keystone Pocket on the lake.

Least Sandpiper - a single bird was seen foraging amongst a group of snipe.

Sora - a single bird was seen feeding along the shore in the grass at Keystone
Pocket.

Sedge Wren - two different birds were seen, on opposite sides of the lake.

Marsh Wren - a single bird was seen in the marsh grass along the lake at
Keystone Pocket.

Common Yellowthroat - individuals were seen in two locations.

LeConte's Sparrow - a total of 4 birds were seen in two locations.

Western Meadowlark - 2 were seen near the Phillipy Unit of Black Bayou Refuge.

Pine Siskin - 2 individuals were seen in a flock of goldfinches.

Other species of note included Common Loon, Greater Scaup, Red-breasted
Merganser, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Northern Bobwhite (can be a tough
bird in the winter), American Woodcock, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Short-eared
Owl, House Wren, American Pipit, Pine Warbler, American Tree Sparrow, Chipping
Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow (we had 11 species of sparrows total),
Lapland Longspur, Rusty Blackbird, and Brewer's Blackbird.  Big misses were
Northern Pintail & Redhead.  We also missed Barn Owl Red-breasted Nuthatch, and
Purple Finch this year.

Additional species seen today but missed on count day included Long-tailed
Duck, Black-crowned Night-Heron, and Northern Pintail.

Thanks to all who participated.  The Jackson CBC will be held on Saturday,
December 28.  Contact me if you're interested in participating in that one.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
magreene@xxxxxxxx