[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Check Up

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:45:45 EST

Dec. 10, 2005
Reelfoot area
Lake and Obion Co.

Saturday, I decided to check out the habitat at Reelfoot for the up coming
CBC. The one thing needed is water, there is no standing water in the fields
except a few that were pumped up for duck hunting. most of the target species
were found but in very limited habitat. I tried the Smith's field again but no
 luck. Vesper Sparrows were found at 2 locations, a high of 21 Brewer's
Blackbirds were seen in one field. Pipits and Lapland Longspurs were found in
many places and 3 Long-billed Dowitchers were located in one of the flooded
duck
hunting sites along with 36 Wilson's Snipe. Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks
were seen with one of the latter almost taking my head off as it twisted its
way  through the tangle I was standing in, minding my own business.

The numbers of Red-tailed Hawks were amazingly low while Kestrels were very
high and Male Harrier Hawks out numbered the females and immatures, two to
one.  Shrike numbers are steady and good.

On the lake was another story with what I think is the highest  concentration
of Ring-billed Gulls I've ever seen in TN. Bonaparte's numbers  were down and
a little observation told me why; every time a Bonie grabbed a  fish their
would be 6 or 6 Ring-billed Gulls on its tail. I left slightly before  peak
roost time but I did not see either Little Gull but in that mass they could
easily hide. There was ice in quite a few places on the lake but it broke up
and
melted by noon.

In talking to duck hunters, I learned that the ducks built up to huge
numbers, almost covering the lake, Tuesday and Wednesday and then pulled  out.
Lower
numbers were evident from my last visit and I saw no loons or Horned  Grebes.
Even though duck numbers were down I got all the expected species. There
were 5 White Pelicans seen on the lake and 38 over Tiptonville  Landing.