[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Area

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:32:28 -0600

Today we did an aerial survey of parts of Dyer, Lake and Fulton County.  The
Mississippi is very high; about 9 feet short of flood stage at New Madrid now
and being about  4 feet below by the weekend.
I wanted to see how many wildfowl were in the area after the report from the
USFW of nearly 240,000 ducks and geese at Longpoint.

Today we covered White Lake Refuge, Hwy 103, Bogota and Miston, Owl Hoot, Hwy
79 W., Tiptonville, the Kentucky Bend, ( water so high there that only Texas
was barely accessible but the habitat there looked good). Lake #9, Black Bayou,
Long Point and surrounding area and the Lake itself.

There were a fair number of ducks in the large areas of water throughout the
area.  There were 15,000-20,000 geese in the refuge area but were spread out to
the west and north of the main area.  About 60% were White-fronted and 30-35%
Snow with a few Canada mixed in.

There were many ducks over the area but not as many as reported last week.
However, we could not fly directly over the reserve and do a complete count.

Around White Lake and in waters in Lake and Dyer County there were a few group
of ducks that numbered from 75-400 but for the most part, the ducks still not
have arrived yet.

Yesterday, I had a light morph adult Rough-legged Hawk at the Bogota Wildlife
Management area.

We plan to survey this area again this week if weather permits.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN