[TN-Bird] Red-throated & Pacific Loons, White-winged Scoter; KY Lake

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:42:31 -0600

2/13/03
KY Lake
Paris Landing to Britton Ford
Henry Co.

As will soon be apparent when Jeff post's about his luck today, I should
have done as I intended and headed over towards Reelfoot Lake, but had a
pretty good afternoon around KY Lake anyway.

Paris Landing was pretty slow, the good gull island had 5 Bald Eagles
sitting on it, so it wasn't too good for gulls! Nothing out of the ordinary,
only the 3 expected Gull species, and no good ducks in the mix.

From here I headed towards Port Rd, but made a little side-trip into Big
Eagle Campground to scan the Eagle Creek area. This has been a productive
stop often. A quick scan through the 25-30 Loons in the distance rewarded me
with a little pale Ghost of a Loon, a Red-throated. From this distance, this
bird appeared to be an adult, but closer looks (1/4 mile) later revealed
that it is a 1st-winter. While I was futilely trying to get some shots of
the Red-throated, a quick call from Jeff cut off my photography (I'll let
him post his Iceland Gull & etc. details !).

I decided to hold-off on going to Reelfoot, and instead went by Britton
Ford. Now that Goose season is over, the geese were all using the former
hunting fields, consequently they are out of view for the most part. I did
have some White-fronts fly over, and there are lots of Canada's around if
you happen to catch them out in the open. Duck numbers were down somewhat at
the overlook, though there are still quite a few Redheads (25) mixed in
among the Canvasbacks. One of the hybrid Mallard x American Black Ducks
showed pretty well today.

After leaving Britton Ford, I decided to go back to Eagle Creek and the Port
Rd area. When I got back to Big Eagle Campground, the Red-throated was
closer than it had been before, and now apparent that it is a 1st-winter
bird. This bird was very cooperative for a Red-throated, staying up most of
the time and being pretty easy to observe, though still too far away for any
good shots. They are typically seen a time or two and then seemingly
disappear. While going through the 50 or so Loons in the area, I picked up a
Pacific out of a small pod of Commons, out near where Eagle Creek hits the
Big Sandy River. It was beyond any realistic hope of getting a shot of, but
made for a nice 3 Loon species day.

Another surprise was a White-winged Scoter, which popped up from out of
nowhere while I was scanning through the area. She was also cooperative,
though distant. I could usually go back from the Scoter to the Red-throated
Loon with no effort. I spent well over an hour enjoying these birds, as
White-winged Scoter is one that I missed last year. A few Red-breasted
Mergansers were in the area as well.

I have posted a few BAD shots of the Red-throated and Scoter, along with one
of the Mallard X American Black Duck hybrid at:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/ky_lake_21305

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN