[TN-Bird] Red-necked Grebe, Red-throated Loon in Warren and Franklin Co.

  • From: Jan Shaw <jankshaw1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Koehler <gkoehler4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:04:59 -0500

3-22-2014
McMinnville, Warren Co.
Woods Reservoir, Franklin Co.

A big thank you to Susan and Mac McWhirter for finding and posting about
the Red-necked Grebe at Lake Karen outside of McMinnville. Susan came along
just after I got there this morning and spotted it for me across the lake.
It's just beginning to molt into breeding plumage.

After enjoying the grebe, I drove through the sod farm at Bark Camp Barrens
in Coffee Co. but did not find anything besides meadowlarks and a pair of
Wood Ducks in a small pond.

I then decided to bird at Woods Reservoir since I was nearby and hadn't
been there for a long time. I made the loop around the lake and saw many
Common Loons, some in full breeding plumage. From the Gossick Leadership
Center parking lot (2912 Northshore Rd.) there was a winter plumaged
Red-throated Loon with two nearby Common Loons for great comparisons. There
were also a few breeding plumaged Horned Grebes in a nearby cove. I'm 99%
sure I heard a Fish Crow calling. Have other birders had them there? I also
saw my FOS Purple Martins over the lake and one Barn Swallow in a nearby
field.

A fine day and a great way to forget about Duke losing in March Madness!

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN