[TN-Bird] Red-necked Grebe & Pacific Loon- Pace Point 12/13/03

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:45:14 -0600

12/13/03
Big Sandy Unit, TNWR (Pace Point area)
Henry Co.

Today was the "trial run" for a proposed CBC for the Pace Point area,
and Don Manning and myself had the main refuge area, including Pace
Point. Highlights were a Red-necked Grebe (apparently the same
1st-winter bird that Jeff Wilson originally found at Britton Ford a few
weeks ago, based on plumage) at Pace Point, and a Pacific Loon out from
Rocky Point. The Red-necked was found this morning while going through a
large raft of Scaup (including good numbers of Greater), Canvasbacks and
Ruddies. This location was in the bay, just as you get to Pace Point. We
observed the bird for about 30 minutes this morning, as it peacefully
floated around and preened, never once diving, much better looks for Don
with his lifer than I had 1st-time around recently. We went back this
afternoon, and couldn't relocate the bird.

Loon numbers weren't especially impressive, but in going through the 50
or so Common Loons scattered the Big Sandy near Rocky Point, somewhat
distant but still nice looks were had at a Pacific (appeared to be  an
adult, but not 100% certain of age). We came back late this afternoon
and had the Pacific in the same general location, as Jerry Drewry, Joe
Stone, and Sabin Thompson enjoyed the bird as well. The Pacific spent
much time diving, and was covering a lot of water in a short span.
Conditions worsened quickly with an icy rain arriving, hindering
visibility such that when Mike O'Malley arrived shortly later, we were
unable to locate the bird (but gave it a good try in the rain).

Good numbers of Red-breasted Merg's are in, with one raft having over
120 birds, and Common Goldeneye's are here in numbers now. Common
Merganser was hoped for, but not found. Same goes for Golden Eagle, no
luck.

Can't wait to here what everyone else had!!

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.