[TN-Bird] Red-headed Woodpecker: Douglas Dam, Sevier County

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 03:18:38 +0000 (UTC)

Kevin Burke and I went out to Douglas Dam on 8/10 area to see if there were any
shorebirds around. We didn't find any but Killdeer but a couple of cool items
was that there were over 35 each of Great Blue Herons and Black-crowned Night
Herons in the tailwater area and they really became active when the discharge
siren went off, pretty cool. Some of each were even landing in the water and
floating downstream a bit before taking flight again.

Our best bird of the morning was an adult Red-headed Woodpecker at the over
pavillion in the big trees next to the overlook, my first for Sevier County and
Kevin's second. It appeared to be a single bird.

Keith Watson
Pittman Center, TN