[TN-Bird] Reddish Egret not seen today

  • From: Michael Sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, thomas.j.palmeri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:59:21 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county, 7/24/08, by canoe
Douglas Lake elevation: 984.2

We did 2 complete circuits on the water today, one in the early
afternoon with a group of young folks from Austin Springs Camp,
another, more methodical  survey from 4:30 - 6:30.
We were fooled by great blue herons  a few times, but never saw the
reddish egret. Nancy Moore, all the way from the other end of the
state, and Ed (I don't want to take a chance on the last name) from
Knoxville scoped the area from shore for about 3 hours and also
failed to spot the target bird.  The last reported sighting was on
Sunday, 7/20, first report was for Saturday, 7/12.  Quite a few
people got to see the reddish egret over the course of a week, and to
experience birding at Rankin Bottoms.  Shorebird viewing will
continue to improve for the next few weeks, as more birds  can be
expected to stop over, and the mudflat edges will be closer to the
access road.  It seems like we find a new species for the season, or
unusual numbers on every trip.  Today we saw our first sanderlings of
the year and a new personal high count for solitary sandpipers.

Partial list:
Great Blue Heron (55)
Great egret (82)
Double-cr. cormorant (27)
Snowy egret
Little Blue Heron (4 immature)
Black-cr. Night-Heron (5)
Osprey (5 -  plus 5 in the air over Walters Bridge, & one on the nest)
Killdeer (400+)
Greater Yellowlegs (2)
Lesser Yellowlegs (6)
Solitary Sandpiper (9)