[TN-Bird] Red-breasted Mergansers at Melton Hill Park

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:32:58 -0500

This morning, around 11 am at Melton Hill Park in west Knox County I watched
two gorgeous male Red-Breasted Mergansers just off shore from the right hand
boat ramp.  I tried for a photo but they never held still and couldn't get a
decent one before they swam off to the left.  Just before I left, at around
noon, I tried to relocate them but could not.  As I was sitting there in my
car, scanning, I got a phone call and had a 17 minute conversation.  Was still
on the phone when they popped up again just opposite me.  I would have left
without seeing them again if not for the call.  This time I did manage some
blurry photos.

These mergansers were first reported (to Facebook) on the 19th by John and
Theresa O'Barr.  I know they're not rare but they sure are beautiful to watch.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville