[TN-Bird] Red River Gorge, KY weekend/Rock Bridge Burn

  • From: FrankRenfrow@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, IN-BIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ohio-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:06:18 EDT

We (Veronica and Frank Renfrow) were at the Red River Gorge this  weekend and
saw quite a few good early spring birds.On Friday March 31 we  walked the
Whittleton Arch trail and found 4 Eastern Phoebes, 3 Blue-headed  Vireos, 1
Winter Wren, 3 Louisiana Waterthrushes, 4 Pine Warblers  and 4 Black-throated
Green Warblers. On Saturday April 1st we found 1 pair  of Red-breasted
Nuthatches
inspecting snags (especially interested in one  particular dead white pine
snag) along Rock Bridge Trail at the top of  the ridge not far from the picnic
area and another male was heard calling near  Rock Bridge. Also found along the
trail and along Rock Bridge Road were 12  Blue-headed Vireos, 2 Hermit
Thrushes, 1 White-breasted Nuthatch, 1 Winter  Wren, 14 Pine Warblers, 8
Yellow-throated Warblers, 11 Black-throated  Green Warblers, 3 Black and White
Warblers,
and 30 Dark-eyed  Juncos.  We also found a Red-breasted Nuthatch near the
Castle Rock Arch overlook near Sky Bridge, the first time I have definitively
found them that far downstream in the Swift Camp Creek  watershed (almost to
the
Red River) but of course it is still early in the  season. There were at least
a dozen more Pine Warblers at the Tunnel Ridge Road  area near D. Boone hut,
totals for the trip probably reached 50-60 in all,  considering those also
heard along KY 715 and at Natural Bridge. We found the  pair of Red-breasted
Nuthatches still active around the white pine  snag near the Rock Bridge Picnic
area on Sunday April 2nd.

We were very disappointed to find that another large prescribed burn had
just been made along a mile stretch of Rock Bridge Road. I realize that these
burns are a very good idea in prairie areas, cliff edges, and pine woods  but I
think they have dubious value as far as a mature white  pine-hemlock deciduous
forest is concerned. This is a habitat type of which  Kentucky has precious
little in the first place, and one would think that the  presence of breeding
Red-breasted Nuthatches here and nowhere else in the state  would be enough
reason to preserve the forest as it is. I realize that  there is room for
disagreement on this issue, but I would challenge anyone that  thinks that
these
burns are a good idea to walk the length of Rock Bridge Road  and then see how
they feel. They might notice that most all of the  Blue-headed Vireos and
Black-throated Green Warblers are singing on the unburned  side of the road,
where
there is still an abundance of coniferous (small white  pines and hemlocks) and
evergreen deciduous (i.e.rhododendron, mtn laurel  and holly) understory. I am
also rather disappointed that I was  falsely assured that no burns were in
the planning for this area in the  near future, and that I would be informed
prior to the implementation of future  burns, so that I would have time to file
an objection.  I have sent this  email to the bird listservs of the neighboring
states as well as Kentucky,  as many of the visitors to this beautiful area
are from out of state and they  should also be made aware of the situation.

Frank Renfrow
Bellevue, KY