[TN-Bird] Red Knot present 9/3/14

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kings4birds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 17:06:33 -0400

kiings4birds@xxxxxxx
9/3/14
T.E.Maxson Wastewater Treatment Plant, "the PIts"
Memphis, Shelby Co.

The Red Knot was present when I left the Pits, after I'd searched for it about
1-1/2 hrs. today. It was in the northwest-most pool of the central pits area,
and viewed from the grassy levee on the  western side of that pool, about half
way down, looking east. I'll post more later, but just want folks to know the
bird is still around. A beautiful breeding-plumaged male Ruddy Turnstone
remains as well, in the next pool to the east, same general area I saw it
yesterday.

That being said, I had to force myself to look carefully there, as there isn't
much water there now, and, though there were Pectoral Sandpipers and Lesser
Yellowlegs nearby for comparison, more of those species were concentrated in
pits with more water on the south east side of the complex. And, now I know I'm
crazy, because no person in their right mind would endure such conditions for
two days to look at birds....It's really hot, smells terrible, and the bugs are
awful! Flies, of course, but also clouds of some dainty looking little white
things that are soft and smear when you try to wipe them off your car interior,
but hurt when they fly up your nose. At least they don't taste bad.

Gail King
5595 Ashley Sq. N.
Memphis, TN 38120
901-268-0035

"What is this thing that lifts my heart to the heavens?" Jeff Wilson