[TN-Bird] Red Knot, Hudsonian Godwit, Marbled Godwit, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, etc. (Cocke Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 18:45:41 -0400 (EDT)

September 7, 2011
Cocke County: Rankin Bottoms and Dutch Bottoms

I arrived at Rankin at 7:48 this morning and stayed for about three hours. On
the way out, I stopped briefly at Dutch Bottoms along Highway 25-E. Weather was
magnificent--totally overcast and cool, with only a very light, short-lived
drizzle, and only occasional light wind. I cannot recall a more comfortable
time at Rankin in the many years that I have been birding there.

I logged twenty-two species of shorebirds, along with a pleasing assortment of
passerines and others. Here's the scoop (all observations at Rankin except for
the terns, which were at Dutch Bottoms):

Blue-winged Teal (136)
Northern Shoveler (4)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (2)
Osprey
Black-bellied Plover (10)
Semipalmated Plover (20)
Killdeer (6; I had to work a bit to find any)
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs (13)
Hudsonian Godwit
Marbled Godwit
Ruddy Turnstone (3, turning ruddy stones along the edge of the roadbed)
Red Knot (in a large puddle in the grassy area between the roadbed and the
river; not visible from the roadbed)
Sanderling (8)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (22)
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper (35)
White-rumped Sandpiper (3, quite close to the roadbed)
Pectoral Sandpiper (85)
Stilt Sandpiper (15)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (7, in the grassy area between the roadbed and the
river)
Short-billed Dowitcher (2 juveniles)
Long-billed Dowitcher (viewed well at close range and for quite a while; adult
transitioning into basic plumage; separated from SBDO by rufous throughout
undertail coverts, extensive black barring on tail, obvious barring on sides of
breast, practically no primary extension beyond tertials (creating less pointy
look), prevalence of very dark-centered feathers on upperparts retained from
alternate plumage)
Red-necked Phalarope
Forster's Tern (8)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (2)
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (calls heard well at close range in vegetation near
tipple; bird not seen)
Tree Swallow (1000+)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (25+)
Barn Swallow (50+)