[TN-Bird] Red Crossbills - Hamilton Co. 3/14/13

  • From: David Hollie <featherbrain1223@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:18:02 -0400

Today while walking between classes at Southern Adventist University, a
Carolina Wren caught my attention when it flew out of a garbage can.
Because I found it quite humorous, I decided to follow it to a nearby rock
water fountain/pool. There were a few other birds already at the fountain,
and as I got closer, I was stunned to see a pair of Red Crossbills! I was
able to approach quite closely, but when I pulled out my iPod to attempt a
low-quality photo, they flew up above the fountain where I saw a third
individual! They called several times allowing me to ID them as type 3.
Unfortunately I had to move on to my class so I wasn't able to spend more
time with them. Red Crossbill brings my campus list up to 104.

Complete eBird checklist:  ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13396114

Good Birding!

David Hollie
Ringgold, GA
Catoosa Co.