[TN-Bird] Recent Gibson County sightings (Anhinga & Lark Sparrow)

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 14:15:10 +0000 (UTC)

A summary of recent Gibson County bird sightings...
Friday, May 1West of Trenton, Gibson County
I had a total of 10 Lark Sparrows (!) - 2 in my yard on Mt. Orange Road, 2 at
the jct. of Brazil-Elliott Store Road and Loop Road (the birds were copulating
on the side of the road), 1 at the jct. of Loop Road and the Old Eaton Road, 1
on Walter Cresap Road, 1 on Toy Alford Road, and 1 on McMurray Road, 1 on
Harold Davidson Road, and 1 on Milligan Lane!
Also in the yard I had Yellow Warbler, Palm Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, several
Yellow-rumps, and Baltimore Oriole.
Saturday, May 2Trenton, Gibson County
I had my first Blackpoll Warbler of the season.
Monday, May 4Bluff Road and Old Hwy 104,Forked Deer River Bottoms, western
Gibson Co.
Lots of activity: lots of Eastern Kingbirds, Indigo Buntings, and several Blue
Grosbeaks plus Eastern Wood-Pewee, Acadian Flycatcher (FOS), Great Crested
Flycatcher, White-eyed Vireo, Yellow-throated Vireo, and Red-eyed Vireo. Also
Fish Crow, Veery, Swainson's Thrush, a pair of very vocal Gray Catbirds, lots
of Prothonotary Warblers, Tennessee Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, American
Redstart, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Yellow
Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Yellow-throated Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, and Yellow-breasted Chat.
Macedonia Bottoms Heronry, western Gibson Co.
I made a quick stop along Hwy. 104 near the heron & egret colony and saw lots
of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets plus several Double-crested Cormorants,
and a single male Anhinga soaring up out of the colony. We are going to try to
take a boat into the area one day next week and see if we can see Anhingas on
the nest. I also had my FOS Mississippi Kites soaring up high over the colony
along with a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks and lots of Tree Swallows.
Eaton-Brazil Road BottomsGibson County
I had a Black-billed Cuckoo calling here along with Canada Goose, Yellow-billed
Cuckoo, Fish Crow, Acadian Flycatcher, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Tennessee
Warbler, and Yellow Warbler.
Migration is in full swing - get out and enjoy!!
Good birding,
Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County