[TN-Bird] Ravens at Frozen Head

  • From: Michael Hodge <tennessee_wulff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:26:57 -0800 (PST)

Around 10:45 this morning I saw two Ravens at Frozen Head State Natural Area
near the Petros community.

Two black birds approached from the north flying south over the highway toward
Petros. They looked like crows but something was different in their manner. I
have seen ravens here before so I thought maybe these were too. As they flew
overhead I clearly say the wedge shaped tail. One of the birds called with the
"rok-rok" raven call and not the "caw" of a crow. A few minutes later I saw two
black birds in the trees and I watched them for a while but their overall look
and behavior seemed crow like. Eventually, one of them vocalized the "caw" and
confirmed they were crows. I did not observe the ravens again.

Michael Hodge
Frozen Head State Park and Natural Area
Morgan County, TN