[TN-Bird] Raven nests in Tennessee

  • From: "Allan Trently" <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:14:42 -0400

I spotted two adult ravens at the limestone quarry in Watagua, Carter
County, TN on Saturday, April 16th.  This does not confirm that they are
nesting there.  I believe records of ravens nesting in the active quarry go
back to the 80's.  I also checked on the Doe River Gorge nest in Hampton,
TN.  Two nests were seen on two separate cliffs and one adult raven was
seen.  Again, nesting can not be confirmed from seeing an adult.

I checked on one other nest in Carter County.  Two adults were seen circling
and calling frantically as I approached the nest.  I saw no young in the
nest but the adult behavior suggests that they are nesting at the site.  I
quickly left the area to allow the ravens to attend to their possible young.

I checked on a raven nest in Sullivan County, TN on April 9th.  No ravens
showed up during the 30 minutes I was able to stay at the nest.  The nest
was clearly seen but nothing ever appeared in the nest.  These observations
unfortunately do not confirm nesting or non-nesting at the site.

Allan Trently
Norris, Anderson County, TN
ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx