[TN-Bird] Rators at Pace Point

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:38:20 EST

Feb. 29, 2004
Pace Point
TN NWR
Henry Co. TN

This afternoon, while searching the area after losing the Yellow-billed Loon
at noon, we had a nice selection of raptors. Mike Todd and I were sitting
looking toward the transmission towers on the TN RV side when 2 Osprey fell
into
view. Later one was seen sitting on some pilings and playing with some sticks
evidently from an old nest. Vultures were migrating high over head most of the
day. Later while walking out to a point, I looked up to see a Merlin perched
about 100 yards away. It sat loon enough for two other birders to get super
looks at their Lifer Merlin. With the scope I was able to get a real nice
portrait shot of just the head. I'll post it and give an address tomorrow.

Just before we left Mike noticed an out bird sitting on a log that had washed
up on the shoal where the gulls usually sit. This bird had the shoal all to
itself. The adult Peregrine was getting all the respect it deserved.

Nice bonus birds to end up a great birding weekend.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN