[TN-Bird] Raptors at Bristol Speedway

  • From: "James, Wesley K." <wkjames@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:02:29 -0400

Saturday evening, while attending my first and most likely my last
NASCAR race, I observed 3 raptors flying over the speeway about an hour
before the race started at 7:30.  Based on the flight profile I
immediately thought falcon.  I got some binocs on one of them and
observed what appeared to be a strongly barred tail and relatively pale,
streaked underparts.  After looking at my Sibley on Sunday I feel like
they were merlin.  They appeared to be foraging and I did observe
several large insects (katydids) flying under the lights.  Luckily the
birds moved on toward the southwest before the F-16 formation flyover!
I was wondering if any other TN-BIRD folks had attended the race and had
maybe gotten a better look at these birds.  Seems like I remember
another falcon siting last year either at this race or at a UT football
game?
Wes James
Oak Ridge, TN

Wes James, Wildlife Biologist

Tennessee Valley Authority, Resource Stewardship
Little Tennessee Watershed Team
Suite 300, 804 Hwy. 321 North
Lenoir City, Tennessee  37771
phone: 865/988-2433  fax: 865/988-2426