[TN-Bird] Raptor Movement at Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:35:55 EDT

Sept. 26, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Mike Todd joined me for another fantastic experience at Ensley. At TVA Lake
we missed the White-faced Ibis that was present on Saturday but made up for it
big time with the ducks and ever changing parade over head heading south. The
duck numbers built all day with 300 Mallards in the late evening, 2 Pintail, 1
Wigeon, Shovelers, Blue-winged Teal and Wood Ducks. Among the visitors were 7
Ring-billed Gulls and a Caspian Tern.

Off and on through the day we watched White Pelicans drop into the lake on
President's Island and when they lifted off and swirled away with such with
elegance that evening, I was able to get a pretty good count on 540 birds. Add
that to the 223 we saw over North Lake earlier and there was one mess of
Pelicans
heading south Sunday. Many more Double-crested Cormorants that that passed
over all day with skeins of over 200 counted.

Mike added a Spotted Sandpiper which I had missed on Saturday bringing the
shorebird species total to 19 at Ensley for the weekend. I ferreted out 3
Solitary for an increase on Saturday's single. Stilt Sandpipers numbers were up
235 and had passed the Lesser Yellowlegs at 187. These birds were quite tame
allowing us to sit just 15 to 20 feet away as they fed and alerted us to what
was flying over.

The shorebird numbers were still there but you had to wait and hunt out the
birds as it was another "Day of the Falcon" at the pits with at least 5
different Peregrines, 3 in view at one time. The young male tundrius of
Saturday was
still unsuccessful most of the day until late on Sunday when he took a Lesser
Yellowlegs (there favorite food at Ensley) and allowed us the good fortune to
photograph the feasting. Before he had that reward for his persistence he
managed to chase a huge immature female around until she turned on him and he
quickly lost interest. He took up chasing Kestrels and other underlings. The
large
female perched on a tower for most of the morning. Tundrius tend to show up
in groups as the families are pushed out of the far north by early weather and
before the young are completely independent. Often the young are seen chasing
their siblings or the adults and begging for food.

Two other Peregrine Falcons were high flying and another Merlin passed over
in their usual nonchalant manner of migration. Add to those, Broad-winged,
Red-shouldered, Red-tailed, 2 Osprey, 9 Kestrels minimum, many fly over
Cooper's
and a couple of Sharp-shinned and you have a pretty good raptor day. The
topping on the cake came when two adult and an immature Bald Eagle traveling
one
behind the other but with good distance between and all in the same flight
path.
Another adult Bald came in later and perched on the Osprey's favorite limb and
glean a few left overs. Hopefully this is one of the pair that nests at
Ensley.

It was an awesome day to witness. I'll post more on the successful hunt and
photos of this little master of the skies ASAP.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN