[TN-Bird] Rankin trip reminder

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:06:20 -0400 (EDT)

Thought I would remind everyone about the upcoming KTOS field trip to
Rankin WMA in Cocke Co., TN, tomorrow, Saturday, 6 September.  We will
leave our customary meeting place on Cedar Bluff Road in West Knoxville
at noon.  The original announcement is below.  Water levels may be too
low for canoeing around the tipple area at Rankin but there are
probably other spots in the area that would be good.  I haven't talked
to Mike and Leslie this week so can't confirm the statement below that
they might be there with canoes.

According to the TVA website, Douglas Lake will be around 981 ft which
means there will be lots of excellent shorebird habitat.  The lake-bed
road should be mostly exposed though I suspect the lowest part will
still be under a few inches of water.

Weather looks good.  Hope to see a lot of folks out there.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

Saturday, September 6, 2003
Rankin WMA, Cocke Co., TN
Leader: Dean Edwards (560-9701, cell: 660-9701)

We will meet at the Stokely Building parking lot 320 N. Cedar Bluff Road
at 12 noon. The drive to Rankin Bottoms from Knoxville is approximately
1 hour.  We will stop at the Hardee's at Exit 417 on I-40 in Dandridge
around 12:45-1:00 as a secondary rendezvous point and for a last-chance
food and restroom break.

The proposed Rankin Festival originally scheduled for this date has been
canceled due to logistic problems, but Michael Sledjeski and Leslie
Gibbens of the Rankin Project (founded to preserve and protect Rankin
Bottoms) will likely be on-hand to offer canoe tours later in the day.

Rankin is remote and open with little shade and no food or restrooms
nearby.  Some of us will likely stay until sunset when the waders
come to roost.  Bring plenty of food and drink, shoes you can get
muddy and sunscreen.  There will be little walking; lawn chairs can
be very useful.  A scope is required to see many of the birds but
there should be plenty on-hand to share.

The trip is planned to coincide with the drawdown of Douglas Lake to
levels which provide excellent habitat for migrating shorebirds
including Black-bellied Plover, American Golden-Plover, Sanderling,
dowitchers, Stilt, Buff-breasted and Baird's Sandpipers and many
other more common species.  Past trips have found Ruff, Marbled
Godwit, Ruddy Turnstone, Willet, and Wilson's and Red Phalaropes.

In addition to shorebirds, we should find many species of herons,
egrets, ducks, terns and swallows as well as Willow Flycatcher,
Warbling Vireo and Prothonotary Warbler.  In past years, we have had
Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, and White Ibis.