[TN-Bird] Rankin road, miscellanea

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:14:59 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to all who responded to my RFI on the road conditions at
Rankin.  For the KTOS trip on 25 September, I want to make sure
everyone understands that the road is passable but in very bad
shape.  As someone said, don't bring the new Caddie.  There are
several spots with 8-12 in ruts and potholes.  We didn't have
trouble in my Saturn and were able to go through most without
dragging and around those where I thought we would drag but that
can require brushing against the limbs and such along the roadside.
Of course the Saturn has been driven many times across the bed
of Douglas Lake at Rankin and Dutch Bottoms and Henderson Island.

We've had a few migrants passing through the yard but not in
great numbers yet.  The Black Gum berries may be starting to get
ripe though; I had a Summer Tanager eating them this weekend.
The occassional Redstart, Hooded Warbler and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
have provided brief excitement.  Otherwise, mostly quite.

Unless my ears are failing me (getting a little out of practice I've
noticed), I heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch while at a friends
wedding rehearsal at Magnolia Manor near Lenoir City in Loudon Co.,
TN on Friday night.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN