[TN-Bird] Rankin report

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:41:40 -0700

We put in a canoe at the Rankin Bridge boat launch to look for shorebirds in
the cove between Holt Town Rd. and the riverbank.  Along the way we saw 2
REDHEADED WOODPECKERS, 3 PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS, and a REDBREASTED NUTHATCH  in
the cottonwood stand past the Old Bridge.  The lake level has inched below
990', so there was well over 500' of mudflat shoreline in the cove.  We saw 9
common species of shorebird there:
18 LEAST SANDPIPER
4 SEMIPALMATED S.P.
3 WESTERN S.P.
3 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER
8 LESSER YELLOWLEGS
2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS
2 SOLITARY S.P.
1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER
1 KILLDEER

Yesterday, we saw a single CASPIAN TERN past the coal tipple.  The local
population (50+) of DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS now roost in the cottonwood stand
across the embayment from the RR crossing.  At least 80 GREAT EGRETS roost in a
willow thicket across from the tipple.  EASTERN KINGBIRDS are performing aerial
acrobatics throughout the area; juveniles, I suppose, training for territorial
defense.

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Cocke County TN