[TN-Bird] Rankin ospreys &

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:29:13 -0500

This afternoon we drove over to Dutch Bottoms on upper Douglas Lake to look for
white pelicans - we'd seen 6 there in late March of 2003 and 2004.  No
pelicans;  there seemed to be more 4-wheelers, about 25, than birds.  Over at
Rankin Bottoms, there were osprey pairs at both nests visible downstream from
the new bridge, and  a pair on the last silo along Browns Hollow Rd. A fourth
pair (total of 8, also saw a nest at Dutch Bottoms) was setting up housekeeping
on top of the coal tipple.  We drove underneath to the pond near the RR bridge
and saw 10 Great Blue Herons; a couple flew off to roost in the pines on the
opposite side of the RR tracks.  We then drove along the old RR bed to the
gate, walked a bit along the sloughs, then drove out to the river on the  WMA
boundary road that crosses the floodplain (it branches off of the old RR bed
below the crossing into the WMA).   It was a pretty day, with more vehicles
than usual in the area, visibly disturbing the birds.  Some headed up the
Nolichucky River, others flew west, to the other side of the Rankin peninsula
Notable at Rankin:
Wood duck (15)
Blue-winged teal (7)
Green-winged teal (1)
Bufflehead (a stunning pair on the river)
American coot (3)
Least sandpiper (12)
Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
Double-crested cormorant (1 live individual at Rankin, 2 Dutch Bottoms)
Eastern screech-owl (1, watching from within a wood duck box)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Cocke county TN