[TN-Bird] Rankin Bottoms Road

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:31:05 -0400

Per Dean Edwards request for information:
Don Holt and I made it in and out last night in his 1988 Volvo wagon.
The ruts are caused by 4WDs mucking up the road and it's bad.
Fortunately Don's car is down to, or below, the primer coat so he didn't
mind dragging it through the branches on the far right side to sort of
fit on the ridges between the ruts.
Since it's a dirt road it wouldn't take but an hour or so with a grader
to fix it, but whose road is it? Railroad, TWRA, Cocke County? I suggest
calling all of them. Maybe they just don't know.
I suggest kicking the tires of every 4WD pickup you see to set off the
car alarm. Don't get mad, get even.
We had a great evening of easy chair birding. Don brought the chairs and
we set up out scopes shortly after 4 p.m. and held a seminar on
shorebird I.D. over the next three hours or so.
The list:
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant (many)
Cattle Egrets (3, late)
Great Egret (many)
Great Blue Heron, few
Green Heron, a handful but almost closest birds to us.
Little Blue Heron, 1 immature
Tennessee Penguin 2 (Nycticorax nycticorax)
Wood Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal (6)
American Wigeon
Bald Eagle (adult flew in at sunset and roosted on the other side, a
great coda to a wonderful day's birding)
Osprey, 3-4
Killdeer, abundant
Semipalmated Plover
Sanderling
Least Sandpiper, commonest peep
Pectoral Sandpiper, also common
Semipalmated Sanpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper, 5-6
Western Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs, 3-4
Caspian Tern (4 at dusk)
Belted Kingfisher
Pileated Woodpecker, calling
American Goldfinch flyover
several landbirds you have in your yard at home.
Almost worth stealing an SUV to get there.

James Brooks