[TN-Bird] Rankin Bottoms: Glossy Ibis

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:15:26 +0000 (UTC)

Kevin Burke and I went to Rankin Bottoms today and the highlight was a single
adult GLOSSY IBIS which flew in while we were there. It flew a few times and
changed locations and wasn't there when we left, but it was very mobile. The
remainder of the list is below.

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke, US-TN
Oct 18, 2012 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
44 species

Canada Goose 15
Mallard 1
Northern Pintail 1
Pied-billed Grebe 5
Double-crested Cormorant 1
American White Pelican 4 4 individuals resting in the embayment
Great Blue Heron 30
Great Egret 22
Glossy Ibis 1 One adult Glossy Ibis flew in from the east, up river portion of
Rankin Bottoms, landed in embayment in shallow water, fed for a short time,
flew but remained in Bottoms. This bird flew around quite a bit while at the
Bottoms, but was not seen upon departure.
Black Vulture 260
Turkey Vulture 8
Northern Harrier 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
American Coot 4
Killdeer 5
Greater Yellowlegs 1 One bird feeding alone in pond near tipple.
Wilson's Snipe 1
Ring-billed Gull 12
Rock Pigeon 3
Belted Kingfisher 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 4
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 18
American Crow 170
Tree Swallow 400 Lots of these birds around; probably more than 400.
Carolina Chickadee 10
Tufted Titmouse 4
Carolina Wren 8
Eastern Bluebird 5
American Robin 4
Northern Mockingbird 3
American Pipit 40 Bathing and flying around in the upper part of the bottoms
about one-half mile up the gravel road that goes into the upper part of Rankin
Tennessee Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler 9
Eastern Towhee 5