[TN-Bird] Rankin Bottoms / 23 Aug

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

12 folks showed up for the Knoxville TOS trip to Rankin
Bottoms in Cocke Co., TN, despite the heat and high lake
levels.  Douglas Lake was at 989 ft today; four feet lower
and we would have had some prime shorebird habitat.  As is
though, the only habitat we could access by foot was at
the far end of the main road and in the marsh along the
east side of the main road past the coal tipple... and
getting here involved wading through ankle-deep mud.

Waders put in a decent showing with 1 immature White Ibis
and at least 4 immature Little Blue Herons.  The heat
seemed to keep down the dicky-bird activity.  At least
3 Blue-winged Teal were seen as well.

On the way back, our carload stopped again where Hwy 25E
crosses Douglas Lake on the Jefferson/Cocke Co. line when
Charlie Muise spotted a large tern.  Turned out to be a
Caspian Tern.  We also added a Ring-billed Gull with this
stop.

The next couple of weeks should be much better.  The "full"
list is below... as I know it, though I probably missed and
forgot a few.  Incindently, the bird list was produced with
ClipBird which I posted about a few weeks ago; the leps
and odes list was done by hand and took MUCH longer.  I like
this new software a lot so far.

Rankin WMA, Cocke Co., TN
Saturday, 23 September 2003

Double-crested Cormorant - ~40
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret - 30-40
Little Blue Heron - 4 immatures
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White Ibis - 1 immature
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal - 3
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer - few dozen
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Least Sandpiper - 15-20
Ring-billed Gull - 1
Caspian Tern - 1
Rock Pigeon! - newly dubbed by the AOU
Mourning Dove
Common Nighthawk - on the way back
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Kingbird - lower than normal numbers
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Prothonotary Warbler
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
American Goldfinch

Leps and Odes:
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
dark swallowtail sp.
Orange Sulphur
Cloudless Sulphur
Gray Hairstreak
Eastern Tailed Blue
Pearl Crescent
Question Mark
Red Admiral
Viceroy
Monarch
Least Skipper - 40+, very numerous feeding on smartweed
Fiery Skipper
Sachem
Peck's Skipper
possible Delaware Skipper