[TN-Bird] Re: Rankin 12/4

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mtnsylva@xxxxxxx, TN-bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 05:12:46 -0800 (PST)

Let me be the first (this time, anyway) to thank Michael and Leslie
for all the hard work they have put into this fantastic birding
location - much of it very quietly and without the limelight they
truly deserve.

In addition to organizing cleanups and watching the birds and letting
us know what is around, they have brought lots of local folks on
canoe trips to show them the beauty and importance of this area.
Local people are the ones who will most directly determine how well
Rankin is treated, so that education is vital.

Thanks!

Charlie

--- michael sylva <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The morning weather was perfect for litterpicking - sunny and cool.
>  Nine stalwart trashfighters did an outstanding job of cleaning up
> the final stretch to the tipple.  Birds were few at Rankin; most
> noteworthy: a lone OSPREY flew by, rather late for this species.
> Early afternoon, across from Dutch Bottoms Church, we counted 42
> GREAT BLUE HERONS along the shoreline.  Several pairs were were
> engaged in display behavior, presumably over feeding territories.
> One GREAT EGRET was present, along with about 75 RING-BILLED GULLS.
>   A good breeze was pushing waves southward; we saw  about 30
> PIED-BILLED GREBES, 5 AMERICAN WIDGEONS, and 12 DOUBLE-CRESTED
> CORMORANTS  at the Newport end of the lakeshore.
>
> Michael Sledjeski and Leslie Gibbens
> Cocke County TN

>   TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>        Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)
>         endorse the views or opinions expressed
>         by the members of this discussion group.
>
>          Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>                  wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
> Topographical Maps located at http://topozone.com/find.asp

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey