[TN-Bird] Rainy Day PRWA AND BOBO

  • From: "BirdsandTrails" <BirdsandTrails@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:42:11 -0400

TN Birders,
My plans changed when I got to the Dalton area this morning.
I left home at 8 a.m. planning to go down to Carter's Lake area in north GA.
Although it was cloudy there was no rain.  By the time I hit Dalton thirty
minutes later it was raining hard with some thunder.

I turned around and headed back to the Chattanooga area.
My first stop was the Chattanooa Nature Center where I was pleased to get on
the PROTHONOTARY WARBLER.  There were quite a few groups of very young, active
and vocal school children back on the boardwalk making me think I'd made a
mistake.  I heard the warblers (two that I know of) about ten minutes before I
got on one of them - and then the other.

The next stop was the Riverfront  Industrial Park where I was hoping for Upland
Sandpiper, though it is later than I've always had them there.  Also looking
out for Bobolinks which  evaded me.  It was raining pretty hard by now in
Chattanooga.

Then I drove to Standifer Gap Marsh and almost immediately I had a single male
BOBOLINK less than two feet off the paved road.  Ahhh......

These two year birds made my day.

Carol Fegarido
Chattanooga, TN
Hamilton county