[TN-Bird] Rainy Day Migration.

  • From: olcoot1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:53:30 -0400

Oct. 26, 2007
Mississippi River
Shelby Co. TN

I?love bad weather and it?was a damp fine day. From 3 to 5 PM, I sat on Mud
Island to see what would move and was duly rewarded. There was no telling what
passed Memphis yesterday as birds were steadily moving all the time I was
watching.

The first bird seen was a lone Common Loon that sat the whole time in a back
eddy, moving only to slowly wag its head to shake the water off. A flock of 14
Ruddy Ducks flew up river and later floated down and in their group was my
first of season Horned Grebe.?A group of 9 Mallards were the only other
waterfowl seen.

The parade was in the air, even in the face of the steady rain, migration was
in move mode. Groups to singles came by with 4 species of gulls, the largest
group containing 22 birds. The gull totals in the two hours were; Herring-56
with 8 being?first cycle, Ring-bill - 41 mostly young birds, Lesser
Black-backed - 1 sub-adult, a rarity for west TN, except around Reelfoot, and 6
Franklin's Gulls with 5 in a group while a single followed later being harassed
by a Ring-bill that continually dived on the bird. These birds are really
moving, on Sunday, at Arkabutla Lake in MS,?Dr. Harboult and I had 72
Franklin's along with, over 400 Forster's Terns.

Six groups of DC Cormorants hurried by in long skeins for a total of?467.
Raptor wise I saw 1 Merlin chasing swallows, 2 Cooper's and 2 Harriers all
moving south.

There were 70 to 80 swallows, mostly Rough-winged with a few immature barn and
some Tree feeding right on top of the water, no pale rumped species but we
should be checking for Caves at this time.

What did pass Memphis in the rain yesterday???

Jeff R. Wilson
Ol'Coot / TLBA
Bartlett, TN