[TN-Bird] Rails, Loggerhead Shrike, Hermit Thrush, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:59:08 -0400 (EDT)

October 22, 2011

Greene County: Wal-Mart Distribution Center (WMDC) and spots in Greeneville and
Tusculum

I arrived at WMDC later than I had intended this morning but found quite a few
species of birds nonetheless. In the morning and early evening, I added a few
others in Greeneville and Tusculum.

Green-winged Teal (WMDC)
Pied-billed Grebe (4, WMDC, etc.)
Virginia Rail (2, WMDC (vicinity of 2nd pond))
Sora (WMDC, vicinity of 2nd pond)
American Coot (5, WMDC)
Loggerhead Shrike (WMDC, 4th pond)
Blue-headed Vireo (singing, Greeneville)
Tree Swallow (8, WMDC)
Marsh Wren (4, WMDC)
Hermit Thrush (Tusculum)
Brown Thrasher (2)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Palm Warbler (WMDC)
Savannah Sparrow (2, WMDC)
Swamp Sparrow (20, mostly WMDC)

Also present at WMDC, in and around the 2nd pond: two river otters and a mink.
Both otters vocalized. Initially I mistook the sound, a high-pitched "cheep,"
for a bird call. A good rendering of the vocalization can be found at
macaulaylibrary.org/audio/163885. The commentary on this entry suggests that
the sound is given by young. The otters I saw appeared to be the size of
adults, but they could have been young animals, of course.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN